What are Public Funds?

If you are an immigrant in the UK and are living there on a residence permit, this could well include a condition that you have no recourse to public funds. If this is the case, it means you will not be able to claim benefits, tax credits or housing assistance that are paid by the British state.

There are however some exceptions where you can recieve certain funds and if you are in any doubt, you can contact the relevant department or agency, often the Department for Work and Pensions or HM Revenue & Customs or you can also contact our London based legal team for assistance.

What are public funds?

In the UK public funds are benefits given to people on low income and/or on housing support and include the following:

  • income-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • income support
  • child tax credit
  • universal credit
  • working tax credit
  • a social fund payment
  • child benefit
  • housing benefit
  • council tax benefit
  • council tax reduction
  • domestic rate relief (Northern Ireland)
  • state pension credit
  • attendance allowance
  • severe disablement allowance
  • personal independence payment
  • carer’s allowance
  • disability living allowance
  • an allocation of local authority housing
  • local authority homelessness assistance

Public funds and National Insurence

Public funds and national insurance contributions are two separate things and receiving public funds does not affect the money you can receive from your national insurance contributions. 

National insurance is paid on a monthly basis and it’s based on your earnings. Your contributions from your time of work could result in you benefitting from the following:

  • contribution-based jobseeker’s allowance
  • incapacity benefit
  • retirement pension
  • widow’s benefit and bereavement benefit
  • guardian’s allowance
  • statutory maternity pay”

Ask our team of Top Immigration Solicitors

For any questions or queries, you may have related to the access to public or private funds you can fill out the form below or call us during our working hours on +44 (0) 207 269 9590 for a chat with our team of immigration solicitors London.