UK Fiance Visa Requirements

If you are planning to marry a British citizen or a permanent resident of the UK, but before marriage want to see what it is like living in the UK, you can apply from abroad for a visa (entry clearance), to come here as a fiancé/Fiancée. It is crucial to show that the relationship is genuine and the parties intend to live together permanently upon marriage but is not necessary to show that the parties had been living together prior to making the application.

So, what are the main requirements?

  • The main requirements are that the British sponsor and the applicant must intend to marry within six months of entry to the UK under this category. The visa will be for a six-month period, and will not entitle the applicant to work.
  • Furthermore, the parties must obviously have met and must intend to live together permanently, and the applicant must be able to support him/herself or be supported by their partner without access to public funds, and there must be adequate accommodation in place.

Most of the requirements are as in a marriage visa application

Most of the requirements for this visa are the same as for those who wish to apply to come to the UK on the basis of marriage, or switch in the country from one Visa category to the spouse Visa category.

How long will the visa be for?

Successful applicants are granted a six-month visa to come to the UK and marry. The Visa can be extended for another six months from within the UK if reasonable grounds can be shown that the marriage could not take place within the first six months.

What happens after the marriage takes place?

Once the marriage takes place an application can then be made for the applicant to remain in UK based on marriage. Whilst the fiancé/ fiancée Visa can only be applied for by way of entry clearance from abroad, the marriage/ spouse visa following the grant of the fiancé/ fiancée Visa can be applied for whilst the applicant is in the UK.

Once the applicant has been granted leave to remain in the UK on the basis of marriage, then the grant of leave should be for 2.5 years followed by a further grant, and after a five-year period in this capacity, an application can be made for indefinite leave to remain.

For further information

If you’re interested in applying for a UK fiancée Visa, or switching into the spouse Visa category and require to have full details of the documentation required and additional advice, please do not hesitate to contact us by filling out the form below and one of our legal experts shall reply to you very soon.

Contact Us