Paper Applications for the EU Settlement Scheme

The EU Settlement Scheme is an online application for permanent residency in the UK after Brexit however due to certain circumstances a paper application may be required instead.

As the UK gets ready to leave the EU later this year at the end of October preparations have begun to take place on behalf of EU and EEA citizens to secure their status in the UK before the withdrawal date.

As part of the wider effort of Brexit, the UK government has introduced the EU Settlement Scheme for EU citizens who are already living in the UK. The scheme is only supposed to involve an online application process where you as an EU citizen or EEA citizen would have to show the needed evidence to support your application online without any paper documents sent directly to the Home Office. If you are a successful applicant you will receive an electronic proof of your UK immigration status with no hardcopy documents. However, this would be different if you are not an EEA national and you did not have a biometric residence card already.

Under the EU Settlement Scheme, if you are an EU or EEA citizen and have lived in the UK for a minimum of 5 years, you will have the right to gain “settled status” in the UK permanent which means permanent residence/indefinite leave to remain. If you have not lived in the UK for at least five years then you can still apply through the EU settlement scheme however you will be granted “pre-settled status” due to the fact that you had not at that moment not qualified for permanent residency in the UK.

There are certain differences depending on where you are from. The Home Office requires EU/EEA and dependents of these categories to send their passports / National ID’s to identify their details. This is to prevent the possibility of others committing fraud. The documents will be returned within a week or so. Moreover, in recent months the requirement of using a paper application form has been extended to family members of British Nationals who have EEA rights, for example, a spouse of a British citizen who also has EU, EEA or Swiss citizenship and has lived in the UK before obtaining British citizenship. Paper documents can also be required for other individuals depending on their situation you can consult our team of immigration lawyers London regarding your specific case and we will advise you.

Unfortunately, you can not download the paper application forms online for the EU Settlement Scheme and must request one from the Home Office which distribute them on a case by case basis to applicants. Due to the bureaucratic nature of the Home Office, receiving your paper application form can take over a week and if you are a non-EEA national who falls under a couple of exceptions that require a paper application form, navigating through this bureaucracy can be tricky. 

The information right now on this is fairly vague and appears to be the same with most new policies surrounding Brexit. If you are unsure about your particular immigration status in the UK then you can call our team of immigration solicitors London for further assistance and advice. It is not stated clearly on government websites that paper application forms could be required for certain individuals and due to the bureaucratic and unorganised nature of the Home Office, this information is not 100% transparent as of yet.

Gulbenkian Andonian Solicitors employs a team of some of the best immigration solicitors in London and can provide you with valuable assistance on your path to permanent residency in the UK as a result of Brexit.

You can call us on +44 (0) 20 7269 9590 or email us at info@gulbenkian.co.uk.

Alternatively, fill out the form below and we will get back in contact with you within 24 hours.