Our Infographic Explained

A Tier 4 visa is issued to study in the UK. The sponsor for Tier 4 Visas must be the educational institution where the student will study. The visa is issued for a particular course at the institution. Read the requirements below.

You (as a foreign national) can apply for a Tier 4 Student visa to study in the UK if:
  • You are 16 years of age or over
  • You have an unconditional offer for a place on a course;
  • You can speak, read write and understand English to the appropriate level;
  • You have enough money to support him/ herself and pay for the course;
  • You are from a country that is not in the EU or Switzerland and meets the other eligibility requirement.

There will be no change to the rights and status of EU nationals living in the UK, nor UK nationals living in the EU whilst the UK remains in the EU.

Your course

  • Can be full-time and lead to a qualification that’s at least on level 6 on the Ofqual register
  • Can be part-time and lead to a qualification that’s at least on level 7 on the Ofqual register
  • Can be an overseas course of degree level study, one that is equal to a UK higher education course and is being run by an overseas education institution
  • Can be full-time, with at least 15 hours per week of organised daytime study and lead to a qualification at least on level 3 on the Ofqual register
  • Can be a recognised foundation programme, for example, a  postgraduate doctor or dentist
  • Can an English language course at level B2 or above (enquire more details about what is allowed here)

When to apply for Tier 4 Visa?

The earliest a candidate can apply for a Visa is three months before the start date of the course.

How long can you stay under Tier 4 Student Visa?

You can arrive in the UK before the course commences up to one week before a full-time course that lasts six months or less and up to one month before if your course lasts more than six months and how long you stay depends on the type, of course, you have been enrolled in and how long it takes to complete your course.

What can I do under Tier 4 Visa?

Study; work as a student union sabbatical officer; apply from inside or outside the UK to extend your stay; work in most jobs depending on what level the course is at during term time on a restricted hours basis, and as long as you wish during holidays. You should also be able to bring family members with you who are your dependants see below further.

What can’t I do under Tier 4 Visa?

Obtain benefits from the UK; working certain jobs, for example, professional sportspersons or sports coach; study at an academic or local authority funded school also known as a maintained school;

Eligibility requirements for obtaining Tier 4 Visa

  • An unconditional offer of a place on a course with a licensed Tier 4 sponsor;
  • sufficient money to support yourself and pay for your course, the amount will vary depending on your circumstances.

Learn more about the Tier 4 Student Visa here.

Contact Us