How to Check My Settled Status as an EU, EEA, or Swiss Citizen in the UK?


How to Check My Settled Status as an EU, EEA, or Swiss Citizen in the UK?

Recently, following Brexit, the United Kingdom government has developed strategies to control the movement of the European Economic Area (EEA), European Union (EU), and Swiss citizens to and in the country. An immigrant from the EU, EEA or Switzerland intending to make the UK their home has to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme for settled or pre-settled status. 

Let's Discuss Your Query

Call us on 020 7269 9590 or Fill in our form

If you are an individual from the EU, EEA or Switzerland and are living in the UK, you are required to have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme (EUSS) by 30 June 2021 for you to be allowed to continue living, working and accessing various services in the country. However, if you missed the deadline on reasonable grounds, you can still send a late application to the Home Office, citing convincing reasons for missing the deadline. 

Otherwise, an EU, EEA or Swiss national who fails to acquire the pre-settled or settled status risks being an overstayer and is subject to possible removal from the UK. 

Perhaps you are now wondering, “How do I check my status?” Well, that’s where we are heading to.

How Do I Check My Settled Status?

The Home Office has given out an online platform that allows you to check and verify migration status and that of your family. There are two categories of status, which are either settled status or pre-settled status. The digital platform is for both statuses. To be in a settled status means being in the UK for at least five years, whereas pre-settled status is less than five years with the option of changing later and applying for settled status if you wish to continue staying in the UK.

For you to check your immigration status, you need:

  • The passport or ID card that you used during the application. This might be your national identification card or your passport.
  • Your date of birth
  • The exact email address or telephone number that you used to make your application.

How To Check The EU Settled Status For A Child?

Children are provided with their status, which is separate from that of their parents, by the EU settlement scheme. EU/EAA/Swiss children, just like adults who migrated to the UK under EU free movements, should register their current status. You will need to enter the application details used, that is, the email address or telephone number used by the EU settlement scheme.

A child should meet the following to qualify for the EU settlement scheme:

  • Must be a citizen of the EEA, EU, or Swiss.
  • Must have arrived in the UK before 31 December 2020.
  • Should have been in the UK for at least six months in a year in the past five years.

The online appellation form is programmed to look at your records via your national insurance number and where you can prove your eligibility with the required documents; if further documents are required, you will get a response as to the further information needed.

Can Employers Check My EU Settled Status?

After you have applied for EU settled status, there is no physical document to show that you have qualified or not, there will instead be an email from the Home Office. If your application is successful, you will qualify for settled status or pre-settled status. You will get details of your status electronically, but if you do want a biometric reside card to reflect your status, you have to ask for it separately, as the Home office is trying to do away with these cards and reliance is placed on the electric versions.   

The information then will be stored online hence accessible. For you to share your immigration status with your employers or organization, you must grant permission or give the go-ahead first. This will be achieved by providing a shareable code. The code is shared online and allows you to prove to your landlord, employer, organization, or even local authority of your immigration status.

The shared code lasts only for thirty days, then it expires and is renewed again. To acquire the share code, you need to visit the” Home office immigration status checking” webpage and provide the needed requirements to get the share code.

Once you give the code to your employer, they can check your immigration status by going to the “check someone’s immigration status “page and entering the shared code. 

Get Expert Advice from our Legal Team​

Call us on 020 7269 9590 or Fill in our form

Can I Keep My Status Up To Date?

There comes a time in life when some social status changes. In the same way, you may need to change or replace either some documents you used during the application or even your social status may change.

You will update your status because of the following situations:

  • If your passport has expired or you replaced the identity card, you used during the application.
  • You might need to update your status if your marital status changed either by getting married. In this case, the name might change.
  • It will also apply where you have changed your mobile number or your email address. This will need to be updated for easier identification.
  • You might be in need to add other documents to your status to make the accessibility easier. For example, you used your identity card during the application, and currently, you have acquired a passport to travel.

The UK government will not recognize EU/EEA/Swiss national identification cards for travel and entrance to the UK. You would need to apply for a passport and update your status if you applied with your identity card. At the UK border, personal details will be checked online on arrival. In the situation where probably, your status has not been updated after changing the documents and explain that you are waiting for the confirmation that your account has been updated.

What if I Can’t Check My Status Online?

If you cannot access or check your status online, then you might need to contact the EU settlement scheme for your account recovery. You may notice such conditions when:

  • You cannot have accessibility to your email address or the phone number that you used in the application.
  • Your identification documents changed.

If you have problems in checking out your status or you have not received the response after updating your status, you can use the online provided system by the Home office “online EU settled status inquiry service” to inquire. 

Alternatively, you can also use our team of UK immigration solicitors in London to help you interact with the Home Office on your behalf. Our solicitors can be of great help even in such cases where the Home Office has confirmed and made it clear to you that the application is void. We’ll help you resubmit the application and stay updated on your new application’s status.

Ask our Expert Legal Team

At Gulbenkian Andonian, we pride ourselves on “Excellence, Experience and Efficiency”. With over 35 years of experience on your side, our team of London based lawyers and solicitors have a wealth of experience advising individuals, families and businesses of all sizes to find clarity on UK law.

Call us on +44 (0) 207 269 9590 or fill out the form below. We usually reply within a few hours.

    Share This Post


    Neither Gulbenkian Andonian Solicitors ltd, nor their employees, agents, consultants or assignees, accept any liability based on the contents of written articles which are meant for guidance only and not as legal advice. We advise all readers to take professional advice before acting. If you would like to consult with a professional lawyer or solicitor to discuss your case, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. This site uses reCAPTCHA and is protected by the Google privacy policy and terms of service.