EU citizens wanting to move to the UK after Brexit

Immigration solicitors London confirm that the UK government has said that it will implement a transitional period for EU/EEA citizens who want to move to the UK after October 31st 2019 (day of Brexit) until December 31st 2020.

The transitional period will allow EU/EEA citizens to benefit from a new voluntary immigration scheme called – the European Temporary Leave to Remain (Euro TLR) Scheme which will allow those who want to, to move to the UK with their families to study, work and live up until the end of 2020.

This is contrary to the hardline immigration stance that was put forward by the new government just a few weeks ago and shows a U-turn on the motives of closing the border completely on October 31st 2019.

For now the rules appear to allow EU/EEA citizens the right to still enter the UK after October 31st 2019 using their national passports or ID cards and will be able to use these to prove their rights to study, work and live in the country.

Moreover, up until 31st December 2020, employers will not need to worry about differentiating between those EU citizens who arrived before Brexit and those who arrived after and those who wish to stay past this date will need to apply under the new European temporary leave to remain (Euro TLR) Scheme. If applications are successful under the new scheme then applicants will be granted 36 months limited leave to remain (permission to stay in the UK for a period of 3 years).

Limited leave to remain under this new scheme (Euro TLR) will be granted from the date of when it is granted and not the day that the EU/EEA citizen arrived in the UK. It will be issued in a digital format, one similar to that of the EU Settlement Scheme. The status granted under the Euro TLR Scheme is non-renewable and can not be extended after the 36 months (3 year period). Those who qualify for this scheme and wish to continue to stay in the UK with the aim of achieving the status of indefinite leave to remain (permanent residence) will need to find a way to spend 2 further years in the country and this can be done under another UK immigration visa route such as a Tier 2 general work visa, the Tier 4 student visa or the Tier 1 investor, start-up or innovator visas. After accumulating 5 years in the UK without any complications such as getting a criminal record for example, the applicant can then apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

Ask our Expert Legal Team

At Gulbenkian Andonian, we pride ourselves on “Excellence, Experience and Efficiency”. With over 35 years of experience on your side, our team of London based lawyers and solicitors have a wealth of experience advising individuals, families and businesses of all sizes to find clarity on UK law.

Call us on +44 (0) 207 269 9590 or fill out the form below. We usually reply within a few hours.

    Share This Post


    Neither Gulbenkian Andonian Solicitors ltd, nor their employees, agents, consultants or assignees, accept any liability based on the contents of written articles which are meant for guidance only and not as legal advice. We advise all readers to take professional advice before acting. If you would like to consult with a professional lawyer or solicitor to discuss your case, please do not hesitate to contact us directly. This site uses reCAPTCHA and is protected by the Google privacy policy and terms of service.